Community Food Share’s Programs

We like to think of Community Food Share as a community connector. Why? Because when people like you support our food bank, we get even more food to our neighbors — local families, children, seniors, and other individuals just looking for a helping hand.

We offer a variety of ways to get food to our community members when times get tough. In fact, 33% of the food Community Food Share distributes is given directly to those who need it through the following programs (the remaining 67% is distributed through our Partner Agencies).

Our Onsite Food Pantry: Feeding Families

Feeding Families is Community Food Share’s pantry in Louisville that provides free groceries to individuals and families in need of food. Participants may visit once a week, and our “choice pantry” model allows them to choose the fresh produce, milk, grains, and other nutritious staples they need to live active, healthy lives. Feeding Families offers drive-through food distribution on Wednesdays from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM and indoor, in-person shopping from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM on Thursdays and Fridays.

LEARN MORE
Local people in need shop for food at a food pantry
Boxes of food are unloaded from the Community Food Share truck

The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP)

Sometimes — due to a job loss, death of a provider in the family, an unexpected illness, or other reason — our neighbors just need a little bit more support. That’s why Community Food Share provides no-cost groceries to individuals and families with limited financial resources in partnership with TEFAP, a federal program. Participants that meet TEFAP income guidelines may access additional pantry items provided by TEFAP, like beans, peanut butter, canned vegetables, and cereals, while they shop Community Food Share’s onsite pantry.

Mobile Pantries

Not everyone can get to our onsite food pantry or visit one of our Partner Agencies due to transportation challenges, medical disabilities, conflicting work schedules, or other barriers — so we go to them. Community Food Share brings “pantries on wheels” to neighborhoods with limited access to nutritious foods, delivering fresh produce, meat, and more to schools, churches, YMCAs, and other locations throughout Boulder and Broomfield Counties.

LEARN MORE
A woman unloads boxes of food at a mobile food pantry
A cart full of healthy foods such as apples and milk

Emergency Food

In addition to TEFAP, we provide free, emergency food to people in need of immediate assistance to help bridge the gap until they can visit another existing program. Participants receive both fresh and non-perishable food items, and staff members often customize the selection based on recipients’ dietary restrictions as well as their access to food storage and cooking appliances. This service is provided at our warehouse and can be accessed once every three months. Additionally, all recipients receive information about (and referrals to) other resources for extended or ongoing food needs.

Our Senior Food Program: Elder Share

Seniors’ health depends heavily on nutrition. However, getting healthy food can be difficult for older adults who not only depend on a fixed income, but who also have limited transportation options — or may even be homebound.

Our Elder Share program provides free groceries, twice per month, to seniors with low incomes in neighborhood sites throughout Boulder and Broomfield Counties. For homebound individuals, one of our thousands of volunteers can drop grocery items off directly at their residence. Food choices include fresh produce, pantry staples, cereal, bread, and commodity foods from the Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP).

LEARN MORE